Exhibitions

The Benjamin Rush Medicinal Plant Garden

Benjamin Rush, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and colonial Philadelphia doctor and civic leader, helped found The College of Physicians of Philadelphia in 1787. During his tenure, he urged College Fellows to maintain a medicinal garden as a natural and cooperative way to replenish their medicine chests.

The College finally took his advice in 1937 when it celebrated its 150th anniversary. The current garden is named in honor of Dr. Rush. It contains more than sixty different kinds of herbs that have historical and sometimes contemporary medicinal value. Benches in the shade of a magnolia tree offer Museum visitors a pleasant spot to learn, enjoy, or just relax.

The garden contains more than sixty different kinds of herbs that have historical and sometimes contemporary medicinal value.

In summer 2011 our Karabots Junior Fellows planted a multicultural medicinal plant bed. They won first prize for a community children’s garden in the City Gardens Contest sponsored by the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society.

Garden Guide

The garden’s plants are laid out in four identical beds. Labels in the garden list common names, scientific names, and selected uses for the plants. 

A complete listing of the plants and their medicinal uses and properties can be found in our Garden Brochure.

The Mütter Museum helps the public appreciate the mysteries and beauty of the human body while understanding the history of diagnosis and treatment of disease.

  • 19 S 22nd Street
  • Philadelphia, PA 19103
Get Directions
  • Monday through Sunday
  • 10am–5pm
  • We are closed on Thanksgiving, December 24, December 25 and January 1